Abercrombie & Fitch, Here’s Your Next Models

2ed There’s a story going viral on the internet right now, about some choice word from Abercrombie & Fitch CEO, Mike Jeffries. Unless you’ve been under a rock, I’m sure you’ve heard them. What you might not know is that the things he said were from an interview on salon.com in 2006. That’s right… this is nothing new. But the internet has brought it to light once again. To paraphrase, he says:

“I think that what we represent sexually is healthy. It’s playful. It’s not dark. It’s not degrading! And it’s not gay, and it’s not straight, and it’s not black, and it’s not white. It’s not about any labels. That would be cynical, and we’re not cynical! It’s all depicting this wonderful camaraderie, friendship, and playfulness that exist in this generation and, candidly, does not exist in the older generation.”

And then goes on to say:

“In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids,” he says. “Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely.”

He’s also been quoted saying:

“Abercrombie is only interested in people with washboard stomachs who look like they’re about to jump on a surfboard.”

“I don’t want our core customers to see people who aren’t as hot as them wearing our clothing.”

“That’s why we hire good-looking people in our stores. Because good-looking people attract other good-looking people, and we want to market to cool, good-looking people.”

Well, Mike Jeffries, I have a little something for you that’s going to make you dirty those expensive jeans that, according to your standards, you shouldn’t even be wearing.

Next time you visit one of your stores, and smell that stench that wafts out the doors, let it remind you of these two gentlemen:

abercrombie & fitch model

abercrombie & fitch model

abercrombie & fitch model

ResizedImage_1368490423399

abercrombie & fitch model

abercrombie & fitch modelabercrombie & fitch modelabercrombie & fitch model

abercrombie & fitch model

Marketing to a specific demographic isn’t a new thing, and there’s nothing wrong with it. I don’t get mad that certain stores are plus size only, which excludes me. The issue isn’t the fact that Mark Jeffries is excluding people. It’s the way he went about it, and the words he said. Not to mention, even if that was his marketing plan, why would he come out and say it? And… seriously, who is he trying to fool? There’s a mirror in every one of his stores. Has he ever looked in one?

I’d love nothing more than for this to get back to the bee-stung-Gary-Busey-looking, shallow, pretentious Mike Jeffries. If you want to see that too, click here to tweet this post to Abercrombie.

Mike, if you do read this, and want to get in touch with the new models I found for you, feel free to have your ‘beautiful’ people get ahold of my ‘normal, realistic, not-stuck-up’ people. I’m sure we can work something out.

(By the way, a HUGE thank you to Amanda Patton, who is a follower of my blog. She took her boyfriend, Kevin Goins, and his cousin, Wade Hayes, to the A&F location in Evansville, IN and took these pics JUST FOR ME! She even told me that as they were leaving, the employees told them to have a nice day.)

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Abercrombie & Fitch, Here’s Your Next Models

1. Up until a few years ago, I was a big girl… I mean 285lbs of big gurl!! I lost 167lbs, and was quite happy when I was able to fit a small Abercrombie tee. Since I heard of this garbage with the CEO, (has anyone looked at this ugly face that looks like the woman who made herself look like a cat via plastic surgery?? YARGH!!) I have rid myself of all Abercrombie clothing. Many clothing manufacturers are ‘sizeist’ as I found out, but will be honest with you about this… I LOVE a big man!! ROCK ON, FELLAS, you guys are HAWT!!! :D

2. Tonya says:

I am currently a big girl. I had gastric bypass surgery, so I foresee shopping in the “skinny” clothes in the future. But I wouldn’t touch these clothes, even if they were the only clothes left to wear. It’s totally asinine to be this stuck up about who can wear your clothes. Plus, has he looked in the mirror lately? HE is no “beautiful” person… inside or OUT!

3. Jess says:

Amen girl.

Kudos to these guys and shame on this pathetic CEO. It’s chilly today…. Maybe I’ll start a fire and use my Abercrombie clothes as kindling :-)

4. Trevor says:

YES, STRETCH ALL HIS $#!T OUT!! I love this! And your husband is beautiful!

5. Edie says:

This is AWESOME!!! Any company that disses a group of people for any reason, size included, needs to realize they are only hurting themselves. Your husband is adorable and I thank him for his goofyness and willingness to make the A&F clothes look better! Such a cutie!!! I’ve only walked into and then right back out of one of their stores years ago. Too mainstream and pretentious for me. Thanks for sharing!!!

6. THANK YOU!!–To everyone involved. You guys rock! I just posted a response to Mr. Jeffries yesterday, but it doesn’t come close to these pictures. Just Tweeted the link above, and will be sharing this all over. :D

7. Mel says:

He looks like Gordan Ramsey had one too many bad plastic surgeries. But, it doesn’t even matter what he looks like. It’s his words and personality that make him truly ugly. Mr. Jeffries will never see a dime of my money.

8. Kimberly says:

Though my tummy is not a “washboard” tummy, I am not very large. Currently at126 and I would never and have never touched their clothing. They’ve always been controversial and that brand and mindset is nothing I want to promote. There is not one person on this earth who is better than another. And, I bet that guy has never had a true friend in his life. What a sad view on life and a sad existence.

9. Jennifer says:

I love this humorous response!! Thanks for making me laugh!! I was very upset about Jeffries’ comments & wrote about it on my blog, but the truth is, I only want to spend my dollars where I know they’re appreciated. If these two guys opened up a shop, I’d definitely spend my dollars with them!

10. JoAnna says:

As a mom I will no longer allow my “cool, beautiful” kids to wear his clothing. Sorry man but most of these so called cool kids still live with mommy and daddy so its their not so cool parents shelling out the $50 for a tee shirt. Not them

11. vanna says:

Frrakin amazing !

12. Sylvia Hepner says:

Kuddo’s to you all!!!!!!! I am a bigger girl and I will say that even in my skinny days I chose not to buy big names like these because one of my best friends (who was one of the cool kids by the way) was a bigger girl and couldn’t fit into these types of clothing. I applaud these men for being true to themselves and to you because you stand up for all of us who feel we can’t voice our opinion without being ridiculed because we are “obese”. I am losing weight but not for anyone but myself. I am tired of having to deal with my won self image. Society is so skewed in their views and I am so excited to see things being said in a good healthy way!!!!! Lots of love to all of you!!
    Sylvia

13. Dawn Smith says:

what he said may have been snobbish and jerkish, but its true and he has every right to say it, we live in america and have freedom of speech. and while i dont agree with his words, he has every right to make his clothes in whatever size he wants and market to only certain people. i have the opposite problem of his clothes are too big for me. he doesn’t make 00, that i wear. i don’t care i dont shop there i just go where the do make my size. this country need to get over coddling everyone and people need to grow up and realize that not everything is equal and life isn’t fair.

• Jackilyn says:

No one is asking him to coddle us. We are simply speaking out and refusing to spend our money to buy his crappy clothing because of his rude comments. I don’t care what sizes he makes, I honestly don’t. I wouldn’t buy them anyway because his stores smell disgusting and I get migraines walking past them. My step-daughter, however, does like his clothing. Money talks, and mine will be buying her clothes somewhere else. He DOES have the freedom to say whatever he wants to say, but we also have the freedom to show him the repercussions of being a total jerk. :)

• Amanda says:

not about them catering to a certain size, its about him being a ass and saying people arent cool is they arent small. With the bullyig problem it shouldnt be encouraged. Kevin n wade are some of the most laid back and chilled people i know. they are hilarious and were part of the “cool” kids. But as you can see they are both big, which was great for football, not for clothing lol. the CEO is just a ass who has freedom of speech and no common sense.

• Anne says:

So, it’s ok to make people feel awful for their size. Promote eating disorders in order to “Be cool and wear cool clothing”, just because it’s his “Right” to be able to say it.
      Yes, our first amendment guarantees us Freedom of Speech, but guess what sugar, just because you CAN say it, doesn’t mean you should. You can stick a fork in an electrical outlet, does it mean you ought to?
      One of my daughters is a size 14 (National average, by the way) and she can’t wear these clothes, Wet Seal or American Outfitters, because girl has a bubble butt and they don’t make size 14 pants. She feels like crap and thinks she is ugly and has to lose weight because the sales people in these stores smirk at her when she has asked for a larger size.
      THAT is what is WRONG. it isn’t coddling, to want to be treated with respect and the same common courtesy due anyone else regardless of size, 00, 14 or 48.

14. robin henry says:

Well this is why we have bullying in schools starts with parents so he must be teaching his kids well, who is the guy in the 3rd pic down in the sun glasses he is a nice looking guy and he looks alot better then the wash board abs guy, those never did a thing for me.

15. natalie nichols says:

OK. I honestly don’t give a damn about who companies target their brands to. EVERY big company does this in their own way. Every. Single. One. But this is hilarious.

16. 14 News says:

We’re sharing your blog on our Facebook page… Hilarious!

17. Nikki Hodgen says:

This is AWESOME! Thanks for this great blog, you took the words right outta my mouth. I have plenty of skinny friends that I love and I don’t have a problem with stores that cater to skinny ppl. There are plenty of places that cater to BBW’s like myself. But the things he said only fuel ignorance and hatred. He should be ashamed of himself. I am having bypass later this year but i vow to never ever shop or set foot in that store. I also have to sons with very fast metabolisms, I am sure that both will be handsome and fit when they are old enough for those clothes. I will make sure they know all about the cruel CEO before they make an purchases and if they want something it will have to come outta their own money.

18. April says:

I live close to Evansville and would have LOVED to see these two in the store! My husband is a bigger guy and in my honest opintion, these two men are far better looking than the majority I see wearing Abercrombie. Being huge is unhealthy but lets live in the real world for a second and most of us arent a size 5.

19. Marie says:

AWESOME! Especially the link to tweet the post, which I did!

20. joy says:

This is awesome. Makes me want to try them on my big giant butt and start a whole Facebook page for people putting A&F clothes on fat animals.

21. Megan says:

Fantastical! Honestly, it isn’t about the size of the clothes issue, it’s about how he basically called kids losers. He wants the “cool kids” and if you’re not, you can’t wear his clothes. He has the right to have a douche monkey opinion but we all have the right to disagree about the douche monkey opinions. Plus size stores are exclusive, but they don’t stand up and say “Hey skinny lady, you aren’t cool because you’re too small to fit our clothes.” If they did then they too would be douche monkeys.

• orangekitties says:

Your comment is so refreshing! I know that plus sized women catch a lot of flak, but I will say I’m on the skinnier side and even as an adult I STILL hear unwanted comments about my weight all the time, i.e. “oh my gosh do you even EAT?!” (I’m Italian, how could I not lol), and “real women have CURVES.” While I certainly won’t deny that they media portrays the “ideal” weight as a size negative five, it’s still hurtful to hear these comments when I’m just trying to live a healthy life. I AM a real woman, and unfortunately I also don’t have the big breasts lots of guys like so as a skinnier girl I feel a different, but no less hurtful, form of judgement about my appearance. I just hate when these things turn into a rant about skinny vs. fat people when in reality no one should be put down for their looks. Thanks for the level-headed opinion!

22. Jason Hadley says:

Should there be a mass meeting at Eastland? Not to protest, just to try things on.

23. Big John Gary says:

Way to go kevin show that cunt Jeffries XD he has to be one of the most ignorant i’ve seen i hope he goes out of business that would be awesome to see. maybe i should start my own clothing line called Big Dog clothing company XD

24. HAHA this is aawesome. I shared it with my fans on Strictly Canadian Coupons and Contests…

25. Cody Martin says:

Kevin you always crack me up now you come up with another sarcastic way to prove someone wrong I woukdnt expect anything less from you sir, and I guess I won’t ‘ve needing ny shirt back you can have it looks way to good on you hahaha

26. Kim says:

I actually have the opposite problem. People have literally made me cry with their ignorance. Just because someone is over//under weight doesn’t always mean they deliberately do it. There are people out there that medically can’t help it. I 100% judge no one, Mr Finch, however… you shouldn’t be so ugly. GOD foot like ugly

27. Janet says:

I think Mr. Finch had plastic surgery but it didn’t go well. Irregardless, his marketing campaign is a bullying tactic. The best thing is simply do not shop at his store. Those clothes are way overpriced as is. There is no need to his company to set about targeting specific groups just because of a look. Very tasteless. I once wore a size 22 and am now a 10. (Military makes me stay thin), I have never worn any of his clothing line and do not plan to.

28. Rebekah Becky Majors-Manley says:

VERY FUNNY AND GREAT PUSH BACK GUYS. MOST PEOPLE THAT ARE BUYING THESE CLOTHES HAVE PEOPLE THAT THEY LOVE THAT DO NOT FIT JEFFRIES ARROGANT IDEA OF BEAUTY- THEY LOVE THEIR MOMS, AUNTS, SISTERS, FRIENDS, NEIGHBORS AND PEOPLE IN THEIR LIVES. SO GLAD THEY WILL STAND IN SOLIDARITY WITH NOT PURCHASING HIS CLOTHES TO SHOW RESPECT FOR THE PEOPLE THEY LOVE AND CARE ABOUT.

29. jenn says:

i would rather shop at layne bryant or walmart than this store i am a big woman

30. For what its worth says:

I totally back these guys up 100 percent.
    Props to all the models ( men and women) who have the body to support the Abercrombie clothing, but that makes you no better than the next person. To many people judge because of a persons weight, because of the color of their skin, because of the way a person dresses , the kind of car we drive, the home that we live in, because of what lies in our background, but at the end of the day… We all have the same goals and the same outlook in life, and that’s to be accepted, To be accepted be everyone without passing judgement.
    Can I fit into Abercrombie clothing?… I really couldn’t tell you, not sure that I have any honestly.
    Being a parent of triplets the name that lies on a tag of clothing is the least of my worries.. I pay more attention to the price tag and if I CAN find it at a yard sale and it fits, then im all over it. No shame in my game here.
    So while I applaud those of you who fit the “Abercrombie” match of a well defined 6 pack and your stylish good looks, I applaud those of you that stand for what you believe in.

31. Big Shaun says:

I totally back these guys up 100 percent.